Friday, November 30, 2012

Christmas Kindness

In about half an hour it is going to be December. I am really excited about this month for a few reasons. Lots of fun activities coming up, time with friends a family, a little trip for the hubby and myself, good food, etc. etc. What I am most excited about right now is this:
I know, you're probably overwhelmed at the quality of this photo..take a minute to gather yourself and then I will tell you what that is.

It is my Random Act Of Kindness Advent Calendar!

Made by yours truly with a little gluing help from a friend. (Thanks Elizabeth!)

The gist is-each day we will pull out a slip of paper with a "random act of kindness" written on it. Not so random if I am telling the blogosphere? Let me explain my intentions here. First of all, I got the idea from another blog-which then encouraged me to do the same, so I think it's a good thing to share. I have read about where people do 30 Acts of Kindness on their 30th birthday, and things such as that.
I got some of the ideas from other people and made some of them up myself. I am really excited about every single one of them.

I am not a type A person. I am a procrastinator and I have a lot of really good intentions. I miss meetings and get dates wrong for fun get togethers and accidentally skip them. This doesn't really always work for me. I don't always do the things that I really want to and need to do. So lately..I have been scheduling my life out and it kind of helps. Meal planning and exercising are the first two areas that sort of ignited me to be more organized. I can't wait to tell you about our New Year's resolution guidelines and goals. :) ....Anyway..the point is, we all think of little things that would be kind to do and that would make someone feel better but if you're like me, you don't always do it! So...I wrote some things down..stuck them in a little pocket and plan to pull one out each day and do it. It isn't forced or fake because I want to do it. This will just help me to remember and motivate me to actually do it. And..I bet it will be so great that this will just bleed over into many more days of acts of kindness.

We also want to make Christmas about so much more than presents. We want to share with Brody that it means so much more to give to others. So it is really special to us to be able to have the opportunity to do something for someone else, no matter how small, and let Brody be a part of that.

I only have 24 days on my calendar because that is all that fit. I do want to always try and plan one big service project for Christmas each year. This year that is going to be the Pajama Project!! If you missed out on that post you can find that here: http://3hysmiths.blogspot.com/2012/11/project-pajamas-needs-you.html or just go to my post labeled Project Pajama..I still need more PJs. But I have been given about 30 pairs of jammies and I think that is awesome, thanks everyone!

These acts may be really small-but kindness goes a long way. So "FOLLOW" me and join me if you want! And if you want the quick update-follow me on Twitter @AbbyHysmith...if you're into that kind of thing.

"But the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, KINDNESS, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control, against such things there is now law." Galatians 5:22-23

No comments:

Post a Comment