Monday, January 2, 2012

Goodbye 2011, Hello 2012

I can't believe it's 2012. I remember when that seemed like 100 years from now and boom..here it is. The Hysmiths have about 600 resolutions between us and we are pretty excited about them. We made sure they were S.M.A.R.T. goals...Specific, measurable, attainable, reasonable, timely. Some of the things we resolve to do are.
 (Abby's)
  • Read 25 books this year-at least 5 must be non-fiction
  • Exercise 3 days a week 
  • Cook dinner 5 times a week
  • Use my Bible app on my new iPhone and use the reading plan everyday
  • Sew 6 things with my new sewing machine
  • Get Brody to sleep through the night
  • Only worry about my marriage, my finances, my parenting, etc...and don't even comment on other people's (sometimes I kind of think I do things best..which is SO not true)
I absolutely love countdowns, "best of" lists, best/worst lists , top ten most blah blah..all those things they do ti fill time on New Year's shows or take up space in a magazine, things like that..so I have a few bests and worsts of 2011...

BEST
moment-holding Brody for the first time, Ryan-watching Brody be born
meal-Courtney Gurthrie's birthday meal at Maggiano's, we did the family style and ate a ton of great food
trip-Gatlinburg with Ryan's family
party-Chelsea and Austin Albright's wedding
movie- War Horse
book-all 3 Hunger Games books
date-birthday date to see Wicked
holiday-Christmas or Halloween (I loved dressing Brody up)
tv show-Once Upon a Time (Ryan's is Falling Skies, actually wait..he say's its a toss up between those 2)
item purchased-Keurig or Kindle Fire-Ryan says his watch or his brief case
new hobby-Stroller Strides!

WORST
I can't think of many worsts..it's been a great year, but here were some hard times...
 
Brody had to go to the ER when he was 3 days old, we had NO idea what was wrong with him, he was admitted to the PICU and hooked up to a million things, stayed in the hospital for 3 nights, and we still aren't sure what was wrong other than being dehydrated. :)

I was in labor for a really long time-but I still don't put thing in my worse category, but hoping to birth the next one in less than 24 hours. 

My biggest disappointment, which seems a little crazy to most people probably, is having trouble with breastfeeding. But now, my formula baby is pretty happy so it's okay. 

The biggest lesson I've learned since becoming a parent would be that we are not in control. There are so many things that are out my hands even if I really want to do something about it. I just have to trust God with everything and when I can be proactive I will, but the hardest times, are when all you can do is pray.

I am sure we spent some money on things we immediately regretted, people disappointed us, we haven't been perfect parents, spouses, or children. But..overall, we are VERY very blessed and this year couldn't have been much better. My heart goes out to those who have had the worst year of their lives, and I pray that you may all experience another great one this year. 





No comments:

Post a Comment